Monday, May 9, 2011

Fostoria Ohio (41°9′33″N 83°24′55″W)

                                               Hancock County War memorial, Findlay, Ohio

My grandma who stays with us for half the year, has a brother who lives in Fostoria, Ohio. This is a small town that we visit frequently on the weekends. The drive to get there takes about five hours and is in a very rural part of Ohio. Though the drive may seem long it is definitely worth it. My Uncle Sol is hilarious and Aunt Ruth's cooking is amazing.The land is mainly flat and is used for farmland. The town of Fostoria is very close to the town of Findlay. Findlay is a slightly larger town that my family also got to visit during our trip. During our last trip in February it was still very cold. In fact there was snow on the ground. The climate there is similar to the climate in Kentucky except that their winters can get much harsher than Kentucky's.
     If you've ever spent five hours in a car, you know it can be extremely boring. My brother and I brought some movies along, but half the time I couldn't help staring out of the window. The land in Ohio is flat. When I looked out of the window all I saw was farmland. Occasionally, there would be a random clump of trees in the vast sea of farmland. These islands of trees suggested that the area must have been forested at one point in time. This is an example of HEI. My trip was not entirely boring. Uncle Sol always has stories to tell and he let us listen to some of his classic rock records. I was sad to leave Fostoria, but I think that I left with a new found liking to the Beatles. On the way back our family decided to visit the town of Findlay, which was very close by. The town has a quaint, old- world charm and features many small shops. It also has a large mural of the Statue of Liberty painted on the side of a building. This marks the site of the Hancock County War Memorial. The drive back was fairly uneventful. Though the crops looked barren in the winter landscape, past trips to this region have let me know that a major crop in this area is corn.

1 comment: