Saturday, May 14, 2011

Chicago part 2


We arrived in Chicago at around twelve o’clock. We were all ready to get some sleep, especially my dad, who had been driving the whole time. We were staying in a Westin hotel that was two blocks from Michigan Avenue. My mom and I had planned to do some serious shopping. In Chicago I ended up experiencing things that I never had in my hometown of Louisville, Kentucky. Louisville seemed like a postage stamp compared to Chicago. It was a huge city and certainly had plenty to do. There were so many restaurants and shops that we weren’t able to do everything we wanted in our brief visit. Chicago also provided an opportunity for me to some spectacular pictures. Some of my best shots were from the John Hancock Center on Michigan Avenue. Of course downtown Chicago was not thickly forested, but it was not lacking in natural beauty. The city sits right next to Lake Michigan .                          
            We woke up early the next morning so we could make a full use of our time in the Windy City. I didn’t realize this when we arrived because it was so dark, but there were many canals that flow from Lake Michigan through the city of Chicago. There are many bridges for cars as well as pedestrians. This is a form of HEI. Humans needed a way to connect two parts of the city so they built bridges over the canals. In this way, nature helped shape the way the city was planned. After walking a few blocks and crossing a canal we reached Michigan Avenue. The sight of such an urban area was a stark contrast to the farmland that we had been driving through only a day before. Shopping till we dropped was an understatement. My mom and I practically went crazy at the sight of so many of our favorite stores all in one place. After I had done a ton of shopping my brother began to get extremely bored, so we decided to go to the John Hancock Center to see an entire view of Chicago. There were over ninety stories in this historic building. On the elevator ride to the top, my ears were popping. As soon as we stepped out of the elevator, my breath was taken away by the view. At first I felt dizzy staring down into the vast city, but after a little while I got used to it. From one side of the building all you could see was Lake Michigan, which looked more like a sea than a lake. This was only the first day of our adventure.
 One of the many pictures that I took from the John Hancock Center

1 comment: