Saturday, May 14, 2011

Chicago part 3

   Finding parking in Chicago is a hassle; ergo, we did a lot of walking. This gave us an opportunity to see much of the city. My grandma, who was traveling with us, has undergone a knee surgery so we did hail a few cabs, but we mainly walked. There is an amazing mixture of old and contemporary architecture. This sparked a new interest for architecture in me and I got some amazing shots of the urban landscape in Chicago. We also saw lots of contemporary art galleries and statues. It seemed like Louisville times twenty in terms of size and things to see. Maybe I think this because I've lived in Louisville for most of my life and it can get, well, kind of boring. The big city did have its disadvantages though. It was always noisy and the public crowds were immensely greater than Louisville's. It was a nice change, though, to stay in a big city for a few days and have a large selection of restaurants.
    On the second day my uncle invited us to a restaurant in Chicago's theater district. It was in walking distance and the weather was nice so we decided to take a walk. Street performers and people waiting to hail cabs waited at the edge of sidewalks. We saw everything from old churches to buildings that had curvy and unusual shapes to them. I was able to identify some Corinthian columns in some of the stone buildings thanks to Mrs. Shoulta's fifth grade class. We crossed street after street until our surroundings were littered with old theaters and restaurants. Its amazing how many cars honk even when they stop at a red light. It got kind of annoying. That night we ate dinner with my uncle and earlier in the trip we went to Lou Malnati's Pizzeria for their deep dish pizza. The meal was very satisfying and I'm sure we all gained a few pounds from the visit.


While walking we saw an eternal flame for men and women who have served in the armed forces. The plaque is featured below.

No comments:

Post a Comment