Saturday, May 14, 2011

Chicago part 1 (41°52′55″N 87°37′40″W)



The video is kind of blurry because I was in the car, but you can make out the shapes of the wind turbines.

 During spring break my family drove to Chicago. This was my first trip to Chicago and it was a lot of fun. Of course we drove because of my family's enthusiasm for road trips. This time the drive wasn't horrible. We were also taking my friend's family to Chicago with us. My friend and I chatted away while my brother tried to tune us out by listening to music on his iPod. We watched movies and talked about what we were going to do. On this trip I was armed with a camera and was determined to get some great shots. I wasn't disappointed. There were not only spectacular views in Chicago, but also on the way there.
A view of Lake Michigan
   The trip took around five and a half hours. From Louisville to Chicago we saw different landscapes and excellent forms of human environment interaction (HEI). I could see examples of HEI as soon as we left home. Many roads in Louisville have been built in beds of lime stone. This creates rocky cliffs on both sides of the road. Humans blasted the rocks and paved the road; ergo, it is a form of HEI. Half way through the trip we found ourselves in a vast sea of farmland. The land was flat unlike the land in Louisville. Though, in my opinion, hilly forested land looks better than flat farmland, it does have its advantages. One of the most interesting and awesome things that we saw on the road trip was a wind farm. It contained what looked like hundreds of tall, white wind turbines for miles around. I had never seen a wind turbine in my life. This makes one of the regions exports renewable energy and is another form of HEI.

No comments:

Post a Comment