Sunday, April 17, 2011

Louisville Regional Tournament: Hodgenville, KY (37°34′16″N 85°44′19″W)

     The speech season had come and gone. There were only three more tournaments to attend. When I woke up early the next morning I was less stressed out than I usually was for speech tournaments. At the regional tournament I was only going to be doing one of my events. Normally, I have to run around the whole school to get to my events in time. This time I would only have to preform in one single round of extemporaneous speaking. We were going to be traveling south. Hodgenville is located near Elizabethtown in central Kentucky. We packed up my mom's van with supplies and picked up my friends who were riding with us. Though I chatted away with my friends, I did get to notice things about the landscape by briefly looking out the window.
     The landscape was similar to Florence. There were a few gently rolling hills, but it was mainly farmland. To get to Hodgenville you pass through Elizabethtown. If you continue further south you reach Cave City, which is the home of Mammoth Cave. Just as Cave City is the home of Mammoth Cave, Hodgenville is the birthplace of President Abraham Lincoln. The Abraham Lincoln Museum was very close to the school where the speech tournament was taking place. The area is very rural, but as I saw signs all throughout the school that the people are very proud to have President Lincoln born in there town. The  tournament proved to be successful for me and was fairly laid back. I was one of two extemporaneous speakers and ended up getting runner up for the region. Now, there were only two tournaments to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment