Sunday, May 15, 2011

Washington D.C (38°53′22.″N 77°2′7″W)

Washington D.C, our nations capitol, is a beautiful city with no shortage of history and monuments. My cousins live in the nearby county of Fairfax, VA. Because we have family in the area, we visit the area frequently. The District of Columbia is bordered by Maryland and Virginia. The Potomac river flows through the district. There was so much to see and do that we only just barely got to see everything we wanted to see in our visit. I mainly visited monuments and museums. They were all beautiful and I found my self taking a myriad of pictures where ever I went. The city is a melting pot for different cultures; therefore, I could sample cuisine from all around to the world. My tour of our capitol was lots of fun and also a great learning experience. There seemed to be history where ever I went and visits to Washington D.C. remind me just how proud I am to be an American.
      Some of the museums I saw were the Smithsonian Air and Space, the International Spy museum, the Newseum, and the Natural History museum. They were all fantastic and I especially enjoyed the Natural History museum because at the time it had an exhibit on the Hope Diamond. It was beautiful. I also got to see various live animals. There was a museum employee who was taking small animals, like lizards,  out of their cages so that people who passed by could hold them. The Newseum was my overall favorite museum. It had an archive of every state's newspapers that was updated daily. I was able to see a copy of the day's Courier Journal all the way in Washington. It also had rather large pieces of the Berlin Wall that had graffiti all over them. We also visited the Holocaust Museum. The actual building was beautiful, but what was inside left me in tears. Besides the museums we saw various monuments like the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial. This trip also marked the first time I have ever ridden on a subway train. It was terrifying!

No comments:

Post a Comment