Friday, May 13, 2011

Cleveland Ohio (41°28′56″N 81°40′11″W)

  During our visit to Fostoria we also decided to meet my grandma's cousin in Cleveland. My grandma was one of six children and was used to living in a large family. Her childhood stories have let me know that family get together's were not uncommon. We thought it might be nice for my grandma, Uncle Sol, and Uncle Redding (my grandma's cousin) to meet. Uncle Redding was conveniently in Cleveland during our visit to Fostoria, so we decided to take a small portion of time out of our trip to see him. Though the trip took around two hours, it felt like we were there in no time because of Uncle Sol's stories about working in the hospitals. If you, the reader, haven't figured out from my other posts on this blog, my family takes a lot of road trips. On these trips, our most valuable resource is our GPS. It is probably the reason we can make it to our destinations in one piece. Our GPS is a great device, but occasionally it makes mistakes as most all machines do. And it just so happens that the GPS made a tiny mistake on the way to Cleveland.
    The land scape between Cleveland and Fostoria changes dramatically. In Fostoria all you can see for miles around is farmland. As you get towards the outskirts of Cleveland it is more hilly and there are portions of forested land. Some of the roads near Cleveland have been paved in places where they have used dynamite to cut into the rock. There are also places where the roads turn into bridges to cross creeks. This is a form of HEI because it shows how humans have adapted to the environment. This is vastly different from Fostoria. Our GPS usually navigates us through any type of landscape, hilly or flat, but for some reason this time it got a little confused. We only figured out we had taken the wrong exit when we landed up at a completely wrong house. After that, we entered in the address again and figured out that we had typed a letter wrong in the street name before. So it wasn't our trusty GPS's fault after all! When we finally got to meet Uncle Redding, my grandma and my two uncles told us some childhood stories. I found it fascinating that kids those days played so freely in the streets of India which I thought to be very dangerous. I thought it was amazing that my grandma had to walk a few miles and take a train to get to her school every morning. Overall I thought the reuniting of the members in older generation of our family was pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment